At last night’s meeting, the School Board acted to support historic designation of the Stratford Site, based on design guidelines and designation language for the site developed collaboratively by County Historic Preservation Program and APS staff. Stratford is the location where the integration of schools first occurred in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The proposed guidelines honor the historical significance of the site, and balance the importance of architectural preservation with the renovations that are being planned to expand the school building to accommodate growing enrollment. The County Board will consider the guidance for approval in June.2017-26 Capital Improvement Plan
The Superintendent presented his proposed 2017-26 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). Staff reviewed the community engagement process that was used to gather input and, based on projections, identified high school seats countywide and elementary seats in the Rosslyn/Ballston/Lee Highway corridor as the most pressing needs for APS in the next 10 years.
To address these needs, staff developed a prioritized list of options for adding seats, based on community input, and the School Board will deliberate on how to address future capacity needs best based on the community’s feedback and within the constraints of the funding that is available. The School Board’s CIP work sessions are scheduled for May 10, 17 and 24. A fourth work session will be held on June 7 if needed. A Public Hearing for the CIP will be held on May 19 and the Board is expected to act on the CIP at the June 16 meeting. The County Board is expected to take action on the CIP over the summer. The full CIP presentation is available online
.MONITORING ITEMS:Extended Day Update
– The Extended Day staff reported that enrollment in their programs, both before and after school, continues to rise and the program staff remain focused on supporting the strategic plan goals for APS. They outlined their investment in additional staff development to support that effort, and summarized plans to expand programs and training for next year. More information is available online
. ACI Committee Reports
– APS staff provided updates on past recommendations for Health and Physical Education that would ensure students have adequate opportunities to incorporate physical activities into the school day. World Languages staff also shared progress on their efforts to improve communication about language options and availability to students and their families. More information is available online
School Board's Final FY17 Budget
The School Board also adopted the FY17 Final Budget, which designates APS operating funds for July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017. Read the full news release online
.INFORMATION ITEMS:World Languages Textbooks
– APS staff presented the recommended option for Secondary Spanish and Spanish Immersion textbooks for grades 6 – 10. They reviewed the evaluation process for making the selection, along with the feedback solicited from the community and timeline for implementation. The full presentation is available online
. Revisions to School Board Policies
– Minor revisions were proposed for School Board policies on Political Activity, Substance Abuse, and Employee Recognition. Detailed information is available online
. Abingdon Construction Contract Award
- Staff presented the proposed contract award recommendation to Hess Construction Company for a total of $21,728,250 and a total project budget of $31,976,530 for the Abingdon Elementary School Renovation and Addition project. The full presentation is available online
The School Board meeting began with a recognition of student recipients of the National Latin Awards
. The Board also recognized the APS Budget staff for earning an Association of School Business Officials International Meritorious Budget Award and the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada Distinguished Budget Presentation Award.
Citizens who want to comment on any of the items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 703-228-6015.
Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard
upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.