The Arlington School Board adopted its FY 2017 proposed budget
at last night’s meeting. The School Board’s proposed FY17 budget totals $581,941,859 which includes the use of an additional $540,000 from the Future Budget Years reserve. A Public Hearing will be held on the School Board’s Proposed Budget at the next meeting on April 21, and the Board expected to adopt the final budget on May 5.South Arlington Working Group (SAWG) Report
The Board also approved the Superintendent’s recommendations of preferences 1 through 3 of the SAWG report. The recommendations include:
- Building a new school for Henry Elementary on the Thomas Jefferson Middle School site to open in 2019.
- Relocating the Montessori Program from its current location at Drew to the current Henry site.
- Open approximately 400 seats at the Drew Model School.
Next steps will include:
- A future visioning process for Drew Model School to begin in Spring 2016.
- A review of the Montessori Program to determine possible cost efficiencies.
- An attendance zone boundary change process, to be conducted during the 2017-18 school year, with changes to take effect in September 2019.
As part of last night’s meeting, a public hearing was held to receive comments from the community on a possible increase in salaries for School Board Members, including the School Board Chair, as provided by law.MONITORING ITEMS
:ACI Committee Repor
t – The Advisory Council on Instruction presented a status report on ESOL/HILT which included current activities and an update on previous recommendations. The full report is available online
.Family and Community Engagement Update
– Staff provided an update on Family and Community Engagement (FACE). The report provided an overview of the work that has been done to date as well as future opportunities. The full report is available online
. Superintendent’s Report on Possible Options for a New Elementary School in South Arlington
– The Superintendent presented a report responding to the Board’s request for possible options for a new elementary school in South Arlington post-2019. Recommendations include:
- Continue to work with Oakridge Elementary School staff to address crowding prior to opening of the new school at Jefferson and relocation of the Montessori Program from Drew to the Henry site, which will open up about 400 seats at Drew in September, 2019.
- Consider providing relief for Oakridge as part of the attendance zone boundary change process scheduled for SY 2017-18.
- Consider that as APS reviews its greatest needs districtwide and makes the most financially prudent decisions, current enrollment projections show that there will be a greater need for new elementary seats in the Rosslyn-Ballston / Lee Highway area than in the Crystal City/Pentagon City area of the County.
- Recognize the outstanding opportunity to collaborate with the County on a joint-use project to replace the existing Aurora Hills Community and Senior Center and Library and construct a new APS school by aligning County and APS CIPs so that needed funds may be available towards the end of, or beyond, the current FY 2017-26 County and APS CIPs.
- Collaborate with the County after completion of the current FY 2017-26 CIP on a planning study, based on the process proposed in the recent Arlington Community Facilities Study, to determine if such a joint-use project is feasible.
The Superintendent’s report and presentation are available online
. INFORMATION ITEM:Special Education Annual Plan
– The report noted special education enrollment across the grade levels and provided an overview of the Annual Application which is required by the Virginia Department of Education. The application is available online
for review. OTHER BUSINESS
The meeting began with the School Board honoring students whose parent(s) serve in the military. The recognition is part of Military Child Month. The Board also honored the Wakefield High School Varsity Boys Basketball team for their successful 25-3 season and reaching the Final Four.
Citizens who want to comment on any of the items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com
or call 703-228-6015.
Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard
upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.