The School Board adopted the calendars for the 2016-17 school year. The 2016-17 school year begins on Tue, Sept. 6.
The Board approved a second option to the Superintendent’s proposed calendar that will offer a way to provide elementary schools with two full days of Parent-Teacher Conferences in the fall, and one full day in the spring for middle school Parent-Teacher Conferences. With this option, Veterans Day on Fri, Nov. 11 will be a staff and student holiday; Winter Break will begin on Thu, Dec. 22, and High School Graduation will be on June 21, 2017.
Additional dates as well as the calendars for Barcroft, H-B Woodlawn and summer school will be available online
. Superintendent’s Recommendation on Preferences 1-3 of the South Arlington Working Group (SAWG)
Staff presented the Superintendent’s recommendations of preferences 1 through 3 of the SAWG report. The recommendations include:
- Approve the preferences of the SAWG to move Henry Elementary School to the new building to be built at the Jefferson Middle School site, and relocate the Montessori Program, presently at Drew Model School, to the current Henry building.
- Institute a boundary process in 2017 to address crowding in neighboring schools to use the approximately 400 available seats at Drew after the Montessori Program is relocated.
- Start the visioning process for Drew in Spring 2016 as it transitions to a stand-alone school in September 2019.
- Begin a review of the Montessori Program to determine possible cost efficiencies.
The full presentation, including next steps, is available online
. Stratford Schematic Design
The middle school is being planned to accommodate 1,000 students, provide 144 parking spaces, and include traffic and safety improvements. The school is projected to have a 40,000 square feet addition on three levels featuring new program space on the west end of the existing building. The design would leave the historic building intact and maintain the historic south facade. The estimated project cost is $35.96 million, exclusive of the sum set aside by the School Board at concept design for commemorating the historic events surrounding integration.
The estimated project cost includes $4.21 million for site-related community improvements that would be funded by the County/School Board Joint Fund, including a driveway connection between Vacation Lane and Old Dominion Drive, Vacation Lane traffic and safety improvements, and a signal at Old Dominion Drive.
As part of last night’s meeting, a public hearing was held to receive comments on the Superintendent’s Proposed FY 2017 Budget. The School Board is expected to present its FY 2017 Proposed Budget on April 7.Monitoring Items
- ACI Committee Report – The Advisory Council on Instruction presented a status report on Early Childhood which included current activities and an update on previous recommendations. The full report is available online.
- Annual Mathematics Update – Staff reported on math SOL pass rates; bright spots and recommendations moving forward. The report is available online.
The meeting began with a student performance as part of “March is Arts in the Schools Month.” Performances included; Wakefield student Anise Dorsey singing Irish Folk Song "An Cailin Alain” in honor of St Patrick's Day followed by performances by the Washington-Lee wind ensemble and guitar ensemble.
Delegate Alfonso Lopez honored School Board Chair Dr. Emma Violand-Sanchez who is in her last year as a member of the School Board. Violand-Sanchez was recognized by the Virginia General Assembly for her service as an educator and elected official. Read the text of H.J. Res 493
Citizens who want to comment on any of the items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com
or call 703-228-6015.
Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website at www.apsva.us/schoolboard
upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.