The academic planning map is a tool designed to assist students and families to successfully navigate the PreK-12 school experience in Arlington Public Schools (APS). This planning tool can also be used as a resource for students and families to assist with planning and goal setting to accomplish academic success. The academic planning map includes:
· Critical information that students and families should know at each grade level related to
the different content areas;
· Action items designed to empower and prompt students and families to ask questions of
· Tips and suggestions for supporting and enriching students’ academic experiences.
What is the purpose of the academic planning map?
Whether a student is in elementary, middle or high school, one key to success is early planning. The purpose of the academic planning map is to:
· Empower students and families with information;
· Encourage early planning for college and career readiness;
· Prepare students to take advantage of available opportunities;
· Assist students to take challenging courses early in their school career;
· Help student to develop a strong academic foundation in English, reading, math, science,
social studies,world languages and fine arts;
· Build an academic plan that will lead to success in college and a future career.
How should the academic planning map be used?
The academic planning map can be used in many different ways. Here are few suggestions for students and families:
· Review the map and focus on one area at a time;
· Start with the current grade level;
· Read a grade level ahead of where the student currently is to begin planning as the student
moves forward to the next higher level;
· Ask students questions to test their knowledge;
· Discuss information that may be new or exciting;
· Use the “Focus” section to set goals;
· Use the “Take Action” section to ask questions of school staff.